Update Series (2017) Lesson 39: Treatment of Male Hypogonadism: Alternatives to Testosterone
Now in its 36th installment, the AUA Update Series is renowned for delivering high-quality lessons to practicing urologists, fellows and residents. All content is developed in consultation with and edited by internationally recognized experts in urology, making the AUA Update Series the most professional and sought-after self-study program available. Improve your practice and patient care by staying abreast of the latest treatments and surgical techniques in urology.
Available in Two Formats
- Online Only: Optimized for easy viewing on your computer or mobile device. Lessons are accessible and printable anytime.
- Bundle (Print and Online): Enjoy online access plus the print edition, featuring bookshelf-quality binding.
At the conclusion of this continuing medical education activity, the participant will become familiar with alternative strategies for androgen replacement other than testosterone, including the biological basis for each treatment, will understand when these strategies should be used, and will be provided with details about dosing schedules and monitoring for each therapy.
Nikhil Gupta, MD
Disclosures: Nothing to disclose
Matthew Davis, MD
Disclosures: Nothing to disclose
Tobias S. Köhler, MD, MPH, FACS
Disclosures: Boston Scientific, Coloplast: Speaker/Consultant/Surgical Proctor/Research Funding; Lipocine, Inc., AbbVie: Consultant
Division of Urology
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
This self-study continuing medical education activity is designed to provide urologists, Board candidates and/or residents affordable and convenient access to the most recent developments and techniques in urology.
Accreditation: The American Urological Association (AUA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation: The American Urological Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Learners: The AUA is not accredited to offer credit to participants who are not MDs or DOs. However, the AUA will issue documentation of participation that states that the activity was certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
Evidence Based Content: It is the policy of the AUA to ensure that the content contained in this CME enduring material activity is valid, fair, balanced, scientifically rigorous, and free of commercial bias.
AUA Disclosure Policy: All persons in a position to control the content of an educational activity (i.e., activity planners, presenters, authors) participating in an educational activity provided by the AUA are required to disclose to the provider any relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. The AUA must determine if the individual’s relationships may influence the educational content and resolve any conflicts of interest prior to the commencement of the educational activity. The intent of this disclosure is not to prevent individuals with relevant financial relationships from participating, but rather to provide learners information with which they can make their own judgments.
Resolution of Identified Conflict of Interest: All disclosures will be reviewed by the program/course directors or editors for identification of conflicts of interest. Peer reviewers, working with the program directors and/or editors, will document the mechanism(s) for management and resolution of the conflict of interest and final approval of the activity will be documented prior to implementation. Any of the mechanisms below can/will be used to resolve conflict of interest:
- Peer review for valid, evidence-based content of all materials associated with an educational activity by the course/program director, editor and/or Education Content Review Committee or its subgroup.
- Limit content to evidence with no recommendations
- Introduction of a debate format with an unbiased moderator (point-counterpoint)
- Inclusion of moderated panel discussion
- Publication of a parallel or rebuttal article for an article that is felt to be biased
- Limit equipment representatives to providing logistics and operation support only in procedural demonstrations
- Divestiture of the relationship by faculty
Off-label or Unapproved Use of Drugs or Devices: It is the policy of the AUA to require the disclosure of all references to off-label or unapproved uses of drugs or devices prior to the presentation of educational content. The audience is advised that this continuing medical education activity may contain reference(s) to off-label or unapproved uses of drugs or devices. Please consult the prescribing information for full disclosure of approved uses.
Disclaimer: The opinions and recommendations expressed by faculty, authors and other experts whose input is included in this program are their own and do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of the AUA.
Reproduction Permission: Reproduction of written materials developed for this AUA activity is prohibited without the written permission from individual authors and the American Urological Association.
Peer Review: Peer review is the principle mechanism by which the quality of the AUA Update Series content is judged by the AUA Update Series Advisory Board.
Released date: Release month, 2017
Expiration date: Release month, 2020
AUAER Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
Email the AUA Office of Education with any questions at email@example.com
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 Non-Physician Participation
Update Series 2017 is available as a full yearly subscription or individual articles.
1. To purchase only the individual article, click "Add to Cart" from this page.
2. To purchase the full online subscription, click here and add the whole product to your cart by checking the checkbox at the top of the list in the line Update Series Volume 36 (2017). This will select all lessons available.
3. To purchase the full print subscription, contact Customer Service at 410-689-3917.