Conflict of Interest Disclosures
The mission of the AUA Office of Education is to provide quality, evidence-based continuing medical education that is independent and free of commercial bias to enhance the clinical competence and performance of urologists and the urologic care team. As AUA educators, you play a key role in ensuring the AUA’s content is developed in accordance with the ACCME’s Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education. The AUA is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. As an accredited provider the AUA must adhere to the ACCME’s Standards for Integrity and Independence in Continuing Education.
A key requirement of these Standards is to identify, mitigate and disclose relevant financial relationships. As such, everyone who is in a position to control the content of an accredited educational activity must disclose all financial relationships with any commercial interest.
This Conflict of Interest Disclosures Module discusses Conflict of Interest (COI) disclosures, including how to use AUA's disclosure process, important definitions of terms and requirements related to COI disclosure, and AUA's requirements for speakers and planners of accredited educational activities.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
1. Define a conflict of interest as it relates to educational activities.
2. Identify companies that meet the ACCME's definition of a commercial interest (aka ineligible company).
3. List relationships that must be reported as part of the AUA disclosure process.
4. Explain which relationships may impact your ability to control the content of an accredited continuing education activity.
5. Articulate the importance of conflict of interest disclosures to AUA and its members and learners.
6. Navigate the AUA COI disclosure system to provide the necessary disclosures.
Jay D. Raman, MD, FACS
Jodi Antonelli, MD
Log in using your AUA SSO credentials.
Please click on "Take Course," then watch the video and complete the Attestation Form. If you complete the Attestation Form and click "Yes," you will be presumed to have watched the video in its entirety.
This is a free, required activity for all AUA educators, so that they may understand the requirements of the Conflict of Interest Disclosure process. Your participation will be recorded once you watch the video and complete the Attestation Form.