Economics of Healthcare: Understanding Physician Compensation Webcast (2022)
Following a general introduction to the economics of clinical practice and various practice models (e.g. private group practice, academic and non-academic health system employment, and private equity funded), the specifics of various compensation arrangements, bonuses, benefits and other aspects of total compensation will be reviewed in detail. Indirect aspects of compensation models including topics such as call, funding and use of advanced practitioners in a practice, and expense structures will also be discussed.
The target audience includes residents, fellows, young urologists and established physicians considering future employment opportunities. This webcast may also be of interest to physician and non-physician managers of urologic practices.
AUA Members save 25%! For more information on membership benefits, visit www.AUAnet.org/Join.
- Young Urologists
- Urology Practice Managers
At the conclusion of this activity, the learner will:
- Ascertain the general economics of healthcare, specifically how dollars flow from governmental and non-governmental payers directly and indirectly (through health systems) and then directly and indirectly to physician compensation.
- Summarize the basic differences, advantages, and disadvantages of various practice models including private group practice, academic and non-academic employed, and private equity funded.
- Determine how physicians can influence their own compensation within each practice model.
- Distinguish important aspects of employment agreements and discern what, when, and how to negotiate.
- Identify how to increase an individual’s influence within a group or employer by demonstrating value added and how to address general resource issues that affect productivity (e.g. advanced practitioners, centrally employed staff and equipment).
The Economics of Healthcare: Understanding Physician Compensation Webcast (2022)
Session I: Economics of Healthcare: Dollars In-Dollars Out
- General Healthcare Economics That Affect Physician Compensation
- John D. McConnell, MD
- Complexity of RVU-Based Compensation: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
- Mark Painter, CEO, CPMA, BA
- Understanding Overhead Costs and the Impact of Practice Efficiency
- Twila J. Puritty, MBA
Session II: Employment Agreements & Contract Negotiation
- Strategies for Seeking Employment and Negotiating Compensation
- Brad D. Lerner, MD, FACS, CASC
- Critical Aspects of Employment Agreements Beyond Compensation
- Jennifer U. Miles-Thomas, MD, FPMRS
- Legal Aspects of Employment and Contractual Agreements
- Johnjerica Hodge, JD
- Know Your Value
- Kenneth A. Berger, JD, MD