Alexandre Mottrie, MD
Professor Alexandre Mottrie MD PhD graduated in 1988 from the School of Medicine at the Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium. He completed his residency in 1994 at the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Germany where he was a Staff Member till 1996. Afterwards, he served as a Fellow in Washington University St.-Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. for six months to improve his laparoscopic skills. Since 1996, he is Urologist in the O.L.V.-Clinic in Aalst, Belgium. On December 5 2011, he successfully defended his Ph.D. in the University of Saarland, Homburg-Saar, Germany.
His major urological interests are urological oncology and minimal invasive surgery. He is a pioneer in robotic surgery and started this type of surgery in 2001. He developed different types of robotic surgery. At his department, he developed laparoscopic and robotic surgery to become training center in this field. He trained numerous colleagues in the field of robotic surgery. With over 4000 robotic procedures, he has one of the largest experiences in the robotic field.
In 2010, Dr. Mottrie founded the ORSI-Academy, a multidisciplinary school of robotic and minimal-invasive surgery.
Dr. Mottrie is scientifically very involved. He has authored multiple scientific papers and organised several international Congresses and Masterclasses in these fields. He has been actively involved in several congresses to perform live-surgery, give courses and/or present state-of-the-art lectures. He is the Scientific Director of the ERUS-congresses and the Global Congress on Prostate Cancer (Prosca). Actually, he is the president of the EAU Robotic Urology Section (ERUS), past-president of the Society of Robotic Surgeons (SRS) and the past-president of the Belgian Laparoscopic Urology Group (BLUG). He is Associate Professor in the Universität des Saarlandes Homburg-Saar (Germany) and the University of Ghent (Belgium). He received the “Golden Telescope Award” at the Hamlyn Symposium in London (20/06/2015) for lifetime achievements in the robotic field.
- Member of “European Association of Urology”(E.A.U.)
- Member of “Deutsche Gesellshaft für Urologie”(D.G.U.)
- Member of “Belgische Vereniging voor Urologie”(B.V.U.)
- Directory Board Member of the “European Group of Robotic Urology”(E.G.R.U.)
- Directory Board Member of the “EAU Robotic Urology Section”(E.R.U.S.)
- Founding Member of the “Society of Robotic Surgeons”(S.R.S.)
- Past President of “Belgian Laparoscopic Urology Group”(B.L.U.G.)
- Corresponding member of the “Südwestdeutsche Gesellschaft für Urologie”
- Presidentof the EAU Robotic Urology Section (ERUS)
- Past-President of Society of Robotic Surgery (SRS)
- Board member of European School of Urology (ESU)
- CEOof the ORSI-Academy
- Editor of Surgery-in-Motionof “European Urology”
- Editor of Surgery-in-Motion School
- Organisation of congresses and meetings, participant as an expert and/or live surgery
- Organisation of “European Robotic Urology Symposium” as Scientific Director
- Organisation of “Global Congress on Prostate Cancer” as Scientific Director
- Expert and trainer (proctoring) in laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgery
- Original publications :174 peer-reviewed articles (dd 1/1/2018)
- Numerous presentations
- Numerous live surgeries