AUAUniversity Podcast Series: Episode No. 101
AUA2021 Kick Off Weekend: Trimodality Therapy for Management of Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer
Support provided by independent educational grants from AstraZeneca, Bristol Myers Squibb and Merck.
At the conclusion of the activity, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of prospective randomized trials and large institutional experiences in tri-modality therapy for muscularis propria invasive bladder cancer.
- Identify which patients are candidates for tri-modal bladder sparing therapy, and which patients are not candidates and should instead undergo radical cystectomy.
- Explain the technique and importance of aggressive initial transurethral resection, repeat transurethral resection and ongoing cystoscopic surveillance of the bladder.
- Outline the coordinated multidisciplinary technique in tri-modality therapy, including radio-sensitizing chemotherapy agents, radiation fields, and adjuvant chemotherapy.
- Describe the indications for salvage cystectomy, discuss management of noninvasive recurrences, and understand the quality of life and potential toxicities after tri-modal therapy.
Course Director: Adam Feldman, MD, MPH
Faculty: Jason Efstathiou, MD
Richard Lee, MD